Thursday, November 10, 2011

Introduction to the Revelation

A Revelation:

On the way back from Martha’s Vineyard from what can only be described as an over-crowded girls’ weekend, I had a sudden revelation about my life – I needed to change it.  In order to solve a variety of issues, I would have to move to Montomery, AL.  Everyone, I am sure, has those thoughts about escaping their life or changing things (i.e. “I need to change my job,” or “gosh, my marriage isn’t working out,” or "wouldn't it be wonderful if I could just hit the lottery and leave it all behind?") so this “revelation” isn’t so mind boggling except for the fact, that its not like my life is that tough.

5 Ways my life is not tough:
  •  I was coming home (to my home on Cape Cod) from an extended girls’ weekend on Martha’s Vineyard -- 'nuf said.
  • I have a fantastic husband (who supports things like those girl trips – in fact, he actually carries my luggage out to the curb—maybe I should be insulted?). 
  • I have a supportive and loving family who always act interested in everything that I do (even if they are not).
  • Ditto for my local and extended network of friends.
  • Have worked at Harvard University for over six years (job stability).

For almost all of my life I have lived in Plymouth, MA, save for my first four years of life and four years in my 20’s when I lived in NYC.  It is safe to say that I am officially a townie.  I think that most people may entertain the idea of moving away and starting fresh, and some people even might do it, but the reasons for moving started to pile up and the logical next step was to move to Montgomery, AL.
5 Factors for moving to Alabama:
  • The kids.  Emmett’s daughters, Kiera (16) and Kylie (15) moved to Montgomery with their mom.   The girls definitely could use some fatherly oversight.  Emmett is ex military (Airforce for eight years) and has definite ideas of how he wants his girls to be raised and how he wants them to behave.  It wasn’t going to happen with more than a 1,000 miles between the kids and him.  That was the main reason for the move.
  • My job. I was also very unhappy with my job and though I don't know exactly what I am going to do down in Montgomery, I figure we’ll work it out.  In what can only be described as incredible timing, my now ex-boss offered me a layoff and so I could use my severance along with my unemployment money to move.
  • The weather!  Let's face it, the winter in Alabma is a heck of a lot better than the winter in New England.  I've never even been to Alabam and I know that.  I can finally keep my summer clothes out all year round.
  • The food!  Okay, true it is mainly fried and this means I will have to hunt down and find a Weight Watcher meeting immediately, if not soon, but their food is amazing! Watch Paula Dean and you will know what I mean.
  • The cultual adventure/challenge.  I have never been to Montgomery, AL.  I’m not even convinced I’ve even been over the air space in Alabama unless I crossed it when flying from NY to Cancun, Mexico in my 20’s… Alabama always seemed as likely a place to move as moving to another country.  Why would I when I have all of my family and friends here?  Why would I when they seem to barely speak the same language (y’all and yonder n’such) as we “proper” Yankees?  Clearly their culture is different – politics, food, expected demeanor, weather, etc. And yet, the idea of trying something new and learning about a new culture is enthralling.   My itch for adventure is getting scratched.
This blog came about as both a way to keep my Yankee friends updated as well as a way to just journal my experiences.  The blog may actually serve as a court record later, LOL.  For those who are interested in following Artemiscellaneous, you can expect to hear about the following:

7 Artemiscellaneous Topics Covered in Future Blogs:
  • Adventures in my sweet  new home Alabama
  • Stories from the past (some from before I was married -- apologies in advance to Emmett!)
  • Southern recipes gone light (hopefully this is not considered a crime in AL!)
  • Reviews of local establishments
  • Reviews of cool products I discover
  • General observations and musings (indulgent but entertaining for me)




6 comments:

  1. Yayyyy I'm your first follower!!! Love you very much and I'm so proud to have you both in my life !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you decided to do this. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a follower also. I chose to do this because I did it in 1987 and have not looked back. I have lived all over the country and landed here in VA. I am interested to see if you have some of the same revelations I had almost 20 years ago when I came here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippie - Fasten your seat belt and let the journey begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definately had to follow this blog so I can keep my eye's on this yankee doodle gal. Someone has to make sure that she doesn't talk to much smack about us "southerners." LOL.
    Love your blog and can't wait to see what you mind find so different in our world verses your world. It's going to be good!

    ReplyDelete