Tuesday, November 15, 2011

At home with Plymouth’s two best coffee shops

I've always thought that if we could take the good coffee from Dunkin Donuts and combine it with the cool atmosphere of Starbucks, we would have the perfect coffee shop. Recently, I have discovered the charm of the independent coffee shops and they really do eclipse any coffee chain I know of.  The best coffee shops must have fantastic coffee, a cool environment and will always make you feel as if you are right at home. 

Plymouth happens to be blessed with two independent coffee shops that meet the above criteria.  One is Kiskadee, which is very “funky” and artsy and guys seem to favor the establishment (mostly, I think, because it feels like you are in a living room hanging out with friends). There are couches and comfortable chairs to lounge in, art on the walls and cool “jazzy” music playing (either live or recorded). They have hip baristas who have made an art of serving up the perfect latte (see the picture below).   You always feel at least 50% cooler hanging out in Kiskadee. 
The other shop is Blue Blinds (referred to by locals as Cult Coffee).  Blue Blinds is a small coffee shop/bakery that makes you feel at home the moment you walk through the door.   They have small tables and chairs, outdoor porch seating and murals of historic Plymouth on the walls. It is incredibly cozy.  The shop’s baristas are members of “the community.”  The community is a group of people (men with beards and women who dress like they are extras on Little House on the Prairie) and who live together in one big house following the same philosophies and religion.
I’ve asked around, and no seems to know too much about “the community.”   Some people have said they seem Amish and some people think they are Jews who believe in Jesus. A little research revealed they are members of Twelve Tribe.  Regardless what religion they are, everyone can agree they make the best jalapeno cheddar bread on this planet.  The folks at Blue Blinds are unfailingly sweet and helpful and you always feel as though you’ve taken a short trip back in time when visiting their coffee shop.  It’s a very unique experience; very different to Kiskadee and yet just as cool. 
Last week I took a coffee break, from my packing procrastination, and went to Kiskadee Coffee to visit my favorite barista, Jaresiah, and to spend some quality time with my friend Laura.  As I sat there and looked around, I realized that I only had a few more weeks to enjoy Plymouth’s coffee shop gems.  I could only hope that Montgomery will have at least one coffee shop that will make me feel just as at home as these two do.
My favorite barista of all time -- Jaresiah.  See his cool latte art!

1 comment:

  1. I too will miss these two coffee shops. I am not too familiar with the good coffee in Montgomery, AL because I never drank coffee before moving to Plymouth really. Now I shall have to search out a good coffee shop in Montgomery!

    ReplyDelete